Abetalk Abetalk is a community of divine spirits. Connecting, clarifying,
remembering. Together in this time of the global awakening.

Go Back   Abetalk > Archives > Abetalk 1.0 > Everything Spiritual
Connect with Facebook

Old Thu Nov 06 2008, 5:32pm   #1 (permalink)
Bodhi

Question Eckhart Tolle vs. Abraham-Hicks on Ego
I was surfing online today with the intent to find a nice explanation of 'ego'. Some of my friends have attracted both teachings and wonder how exactly they fit together. So here it is:

Abraham and the Ego, by Karen Williams

A reader need not proceed far in Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose to find out who the bad guy is. The bad guy is the human ego. In fact, Eckhart and Oprah will explore how our egos sabotage our happiness in their next online class (Monday, March 10th).

What is this ego that Tolle refers to in his books? It's not the ego of Sigmund Freud's psychoanalytic theory. Rather, it is similar to the ego as defined in A Course in Miracles. The ego is the part of our minds that has made some huge errors: We are all intrinsically separate from each other and we are all inadequate in various ways. Because of its mis-assumptions, the ego leads us to engage in all sorts of negativity, including jealousy, hatred, anxiety, blaming, discontent, irritation, you-name-it. The ego is the bearer of suffering. The ego stinks.

How do we free ourselves from the grips of ego? According to Tolle, "To become free of the ego is not really a big job but a very small one. All you need to do is be aware of your thoughts and emotions - as they happen. This is not really a 'doing' but an alert 'seeing.'" (p. 117) "If in the midst of negativity you are able to realize 'At this moment I am creating suffering for myself' it will be enough to raise you above the limitations of conditioned egoic states and reactions." (p. 112)

I've tried this - simply noticing when I'm in the throes of negative thinking and letting it go at that. This at least seems to help me stop beating myself up for going in a direction I don't really want to go.

Abraham does not use the term "ego" in the way that Tolle does. From an Abrahamic perspective, bundling together our tendencies toward unhappy, misguided thinking and giving that bundle a label would probably make it loom larger in our experience, courtesy of Law of Attraction. But I did happen across one instance where Abraham used the term at a workshop in Rye, NY, 5-18-96:

"Your ego is not a problem. In fact, your ego is essential for your fulfilling of your reason for being here. What we would describe your ego is, is this physical countenance or ability to perceive. Your ego is your physical focuser, and if you did not have this egotistical ability to focus, then you would not be of any advantage to the non-physical energy. [This "physical focuser" may resemble the Freudian concept of ego as the part of the mind that includes consciousness, memory, planning, etc.]

"So it's not having the ego that's the problem. It's using the ego to exclude that is the problem. It's using the ego to talk about what you don't want.

"If you are an egotistical being talking about what you do want purely, you'd stay in synch with [your] non-physical energy and you would fulfil your reason for being, you see." (Courtesy of the Pepus tape library)

What does Abraham suggest we do when feel-bad emotions indicate we are focused negatively - giving our attention to what we don't like and don't want?

We find a better-feeling thought. That's the drill, always.

I hate this rain becomes At least the plants are getting watered.

I'm so-o-o- tired becomes Bed will feel good tonight.

My inlaws hate me becomes I guess belligerence is the job description for inlaws.

The economy is tanking becomes Some people seem to prosper no matter what.

I have no one to talk to becomes Thank goodness for Dial-a-Prayer.

As we compare the teachings of Abraham-Hicks with those of Eckhart Tolle, the question arises: Whether we call our negativity "ego" or we call it "resistance," can we move beyond it by merely becoming aware of it, as Tolle asserts? Or does it require choosing better-feeling thoughts, the hallmark of Abraham?

Let's have some fun with all of this.

http://abrahamfun.com/2008/03/06/abraha ... e-ego.aspx

Old Thu Nov 06 2008, 9:28pm   #2 (permalink)
jonquil

Default Re: Eckhart Tolle vs. Abraham-Hicks on Ego
How WONDERFULLY Ironic!

I just finished chapter TEN of the Oprah Winfrey "Webinar" with Eckart Tolle today!
(11/06/08)

Also, I took the ACIM course (Oops! A Course In Miracles) last year. That is to say, I read the "Teacher's Manual," The text, and the dailies up to day 235. Don't ask me why I remember that number, now! (Whereupon I quit, long story, not very interesting, but VERY ego gratifying!<grin>)

ASHVATA! How wonderful it is to find an ABER who has touched the same perspectives that I have!

Here is where I am at today, so take it in the spirit that it was intended!

Tolle (And ACIM!) claims the that Ego (the pain body;Tolle) as the root of all suffering. ACIM proposes a gradual reduction of Ego. Tolle claims (in chapter TEN of "A New Earth") that to fight the Ego only serves to make it stronger! Abraham claims that there is nothing wrong with the Ego, just don't make such a big deal of it!

To the degree that I can see, from my new broader perspective, that they are all saying the same thing in different ways, I have expanded.

I took the ACIM course, and it ended up looking like a scene from "FIGHT CLUB!" with Edward Norton and Brad Pitt. I was beating the crap out of myself!

That's not the fault of ACIM, but the consequence of MY perspective!

Abraham says, "What works for you, works for YOU!" And I've come to agree!

OH! I quit the ACIM after lesson 235, I heard an ABRAHAM clip that said: "Words do no teach. Experience teaches!"

From MY perspective, that messed me up so bad that I spent three days in a fog of dissalusionment!

I think that ACIM is a wonderful approach for many perspectives.

I feel enlightened and gratitude for Eckart Tolle's works, and his soothing demeanor such a gift and reminder of who I really am!

I am, in this present form, ever amazed that this "freakshow" called "Abraham-Hicks" kicked me in my stubborn ass to EXPERIENCE it!

And I am GRATEFUL to you for posing such a question that resonated so deeply within my core!

Thank-You!

Jonquil
Old Fri Nov 07 2008, 1:03am   #3 (permalink)
Cantabile

Natasha! Big hug!

You know, Ron and I was chatting a while ago and we were just talking about the ego and NOW here I am reading your thread. We're so connected!!!

I recently just discovered Tolle's teachings and it vibes with me very well. For me, speaking about the ego and being selfish. I really dislike the word selfish. Hey that's just me. I would like to say it, soul-centered.

When we learn to recognize that it's our ego's reacting or that its hurt. Then we learn to let go and be easy about all these things. Take life as it is. Take in each moment with love and enthusiasm...we just let it all flow into our experience!

Thank you for bringing this up Natasha!

And Jonquil, I would like to know, where'd you see the Webinar. Link please!
I don't look for love, I am love!
Old Fri Nov 07 2008, 6:14am   #4 (permalink)
jonquil

http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahsb...bcast_download

You can download large videos, small videos, MP3's, or transcripts of each evening.

I did the MP3's. The files are HUGE!

Jonquil
Old Fri Nov 07 2008, 8:42am   #5 (permalink)
Crane

Tolle was interesting when he wrote The Power of Now. In the new book and in Oprah's online show about it, his start out premise is that the world is in a terrible state and needs to be fixed.

It was such a bore I turned the preachiness off after half an hour. What a drag!
[B]Nobody gets to see the wizard. Not noway. Not nohow[/B]
Old Fri Nov 07 2008, 9:19am   #6 (permalink)
Bodhi

Haha, Crane

It is a good thing though to have such a variety of teachers so everyone can take for themselves what resonates with them, which helps them feel good.

What makes me feel good is that nothing and no one is not broken, and that there is nothing wrong with my resistance - it is here as part of my amazing day to day guidance. What resonates with me, what feels good to me is seeing everything through the eyes of Source. Yum yum!
Old Fri Nov 07 2008, 9:49am   #7 (permalink)
Crane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashvata
Haha, Crane

It is a good thing though to have such a variety of teachers so everyone can take for themselves what resonates with them, which helps them feel good.

What makes me feel good is that nothing and no one is not broken, and that there is nothing wrong with my resistance - it is here as part of my amazing day to day guidance. What resonates with me, what feels good to me is seeing everything through the eyes of Source. Yum yum!

"... a variety of teachers..." is right on, Ashvata.

But I guess I was just very disappointed in Tolle. I really loved The Power of Now. It was world turned for me, give me a whole new perspective. So, I looked forward to the new book with excitement. I subscribed to the video podcast and found that, imo, fame had absconded with Tolle's common sense. Now, he was out to save the world instead of being a down to earth guy ready to share his wonder.

You hope they will expand and have even great insight. He did not.
Old Fri Nov 07 2008, 9:58am   #8 (permalink)
Cantabile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeBabeCostaRica
Thanks for this discussion, Natasha. I started to watch the Oprah/Eckart Tolle Webinar on my internet downtime, and it just wasn't a vibrational match for where I had arrived by then. It didn't give me the thrill that Abraham does. Maybe I will watch it again when I am in a different place, or maybe not. I am not needing any clarity on that right now, and as Jonquil says, better to EXPERIENCE it!!

Tangy, you can also get the Webinar on Itunes as a podcast through Oprah's Soul Series and I also recommend downloading the Jill Bolte Taylor 4 part interview.

Sierra! I so love Jill Bolte Taylor, I have seen her video on TED before, Thanks for telling me that she's also interviewed by Oprah! Will now go and check it out now.
I don't look for love, I am love!
Old Fri Nov 07 2008, 10:00am   #9 (permalink)
Bodhi

Crane, we all expand on a moment to moment basis. It's just that you can't measure someone else's expansion. They are the only ones who know the reason for their being. It's more useful for a person to look at everyone through the eyes of Source. Doesn't matter what people do or say, your happiness doesn't depend on them... unless you give them the power over it.

So the question is, what are you doing about it... using them as the excuse to feel good or as the excuse to not feel good? Shift your focus, change the channel. I love changing channels to find something that feels really good!
Old Fri Nov 07 2008, 1:14pm   #10 (permalink)
Crane

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine.love
yanno - i don't want or need another teacher. i don't even wanna go 'round and 'round about if this one is good or that one is bad anymore...

i wanna know where the next step is.

Right! Right! Right!

Reality checks are one thing, but at this level, you to be your own best teacher, based on experience and understanding.

The "next step" is in your heart, should you decide to look there.